It’s summertime! Time to fire up the grill and add your favorite meats and side dishes. As an athletic health and fitness trainer I want to enjoy my favorite foods too, just like you! I love turkey and buffalo burgers, asparagus, and Corona Lights with lime. I try to stick with healthy eating, but other foods are just as tempting–fried chicken, deviled eggs, chips, fatty salad dressings, dipping sauces, pies, cakes, and just desserts in general. Resisting all your favorites is too much to ask, but here’s a few healthy eating tips I recommend.
- Get your grub on with GRILLED meats–chicken, steak, shrimp, even fish.
- Stick to WHOLE GRAIN BREADS.
- Satisfy your sweet tooth with fruit, or an angel cake with whip cream & strawberries.
- Eat plenty of raw, steamed, or grilled vegetables.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Remember alcohol and soda have lots of calories, so choose low to zero calorie drinks. But it is OK to Enjoy 1-2 drinks.
After you eat try to stay active to promote better digestion. Don’t just lie around the pool, get in! Swim and play to work off those extra calories. You’re probably already at the park, the beach, or backyard
so toss the frisbee, start a game of volleyball, boogie board, or just walk along the coast. The key is to get moving and resist the urge to just sit around after that heavy meal. Most importantly, whatever you eat or drink at the BBQ or food event, do it in moderation and have some fun! Photo Credit: TheDailyGreen.com